Wednesday, April 2, 2008

One is the loneliest number...

Song titles make excellent blog posts. I am very much alone in admissions tonight. No other SOIs or counselors to keep me company. But there are benefits to solitude such as playing my music as loud as I please and singing along with abandon. Rockin' out on Wednesday night, folks. That's Beloit for you.

It is a lovely evening in Wisconsin. Warm and blue skies. It probably strikes some readers as odd that SOIs have a tendency to blog about the weather. But the weather becomes dreadfully important in the Midwest. It dictates what you wear and do, to a certain extent. There are always some people who will defy logic (read: weather) and wear sandals and shorts in the snow. But the rest of us check the forecast daily and begin conversations with classmates comparing weather reports. More snow on the way? Cloudy and cool tomorrow. Yep. Looks like rain. Sure does. Time to get out the umbrella. You know it.

Recently my life has become a Jane Austen novel but I'm afraid I can't elaborate. In weaving today we had ourselves a regular party complete with folksy rock music. Everyone was busy at individual looms working on individual projects and one student brought in his laptop to make the time past quicker. It was rather pleasant. Usually people just plug into their I-pods and hunch over the looms all Silas Marner-like but playing music aloud creates a communal atmosphere, which is pretty nice. My table runner is progressing nicely. I finished the first patch of overshot and have gotten about halfway through the body. I should finish by next week for certain. Hurray!

Jan Egeland, world-famous humanitarian and diplomat, will come to campus tomorrow as the 2008 Weissberg Distinguished Professor of International Studies. He's giving a speech about “Progress and Setbacks at Humanity’s Frontlines” tomorrow night in Pearsons hall on campus. Every year the college asks activists for global issues to visit campus as part of the Weissberg program. Unfortunately I have night class and won't be able to attend unless my professor decides to be charitable. One can never tell with him, especially since we are supposed to have a guest speaker come to our journalism class to talk about life at a daily paper. Ah, the conflicts of life at Beloit. Too much to do and not nearly enough time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.