Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Glorious Spring Day!

Today was Spring Day on campus. This means no classes just frolicsome good times outside. Programming board brings in lots of activities to entertain the kiddies--inflatable battle rings, tie-dye, spin art, live music, popcorn, ice cream, dunk tanks...the list goes on. The majority of campus spent the day outdoors in the beautiful weather. Highs in the 70s and blue, cloudless skies. Unfortunately I forgot my sunscreen and got a little pink. But that will just act as a reminder of my fabulous day off from school!

Some years the weather doesn't cooperate. Last year, for instance. It was cold and rainy on Spring Day and few people were out in the quads for jello wrestling. But this year was perfect. There were even water balloon fights. My day began well. I made pancakes for my friend. Afterwards I went to the weaving studio and finished my final project--a gorgeous black alpaca shawl. I am so happy with it. Truly, my finest creation yet. Not only was I pleased with its appearance but this also means that I have no more work to do for my weaving class. Essentially I am done with it! Only three more to go...

After lunch my friends and I decided to go fly a kite since it was windy enough. We went to the academic side of campus since there were fewer people around to maim when the kite took a nosedive. Lots of professors were about and watched our pathetic efforts with amused faces. Finally, my friend Alyssa caught a strong breeze and the kite took off high, high. It soured over the trees and past the science building. It was a beautiful sight. Then the inevitable happened. The breeze stuttered, the string became tangled in several trees, and the kite landed on the roof of the new science center. The string broke so we climbed to the roof of the old science building to see if we could spot the kite. To no avail. It was pretty funny actually. Now the construction workers will have a kite of their very own.

I did little to no work today. Slacker, slacker. But on Spring Day that hardly matters. I listened to a fun band, ate some ice cream, spun around really fast with my friends, ate picnic food in Chapin Quad for dinner...now to work in admissions. Next week is Yoga Week on campus. I'm coordinating the whole shebang by myself so we'll see how it goes. It kicks off on Sunday night with a free curried lentil and rice dinner. I bought the groceries today and Shanna was kind enough to give me a ride to and from Cubs. It was a heavy load. I wish I could sit outside and read the rest of tonight but duty calls. What a glorious day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Smartphone, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://smartphone-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.