Monday, April 7, 2008

Monday, Monday

A cold wind is blowing today, chasing away the fine weather of the weekend. That's the nature of April. To quote T.S. Elliot, "April is the cruelest month." Actually, I don't agree with that statement. February is much crueler in my opinion and I'm not that big of a fan of "The Waste Land" anyway.

I finally finished weaving my wretched table runner today. Only five broken warp strings later and I have something I can hang in my closet. Not too bad. Really it looks fine. There is only one mistake and it isn't even that noticeable though it fills me with quiet shame. Wednesday I begin my muppet project and after that an alpaca shawl. Should be a fun and exciting time ahead.

This week is only four days long at Beloit because Thursday is student symposium day. Classes are cancelled so everyone can attend presentations on student research. The booklet describing the symposiums came out last week and everyone has been flipping through them trying to decide which to attend. Many look fascinating so it will be hard to choose. A couple seniors I know have presentations so I'll try to make it to those and maybe one about librarian stereotypes through the ages. Lord knows I love librarians.

Wednesday night the creative writing department is hosting a flash fiction reading at the student-run art gallery downtown--Gallery ABBA. The theme this semester is "One Night Fever" and I'd really like to see what people came up with. I haven't written anything for this reading since I'm firmly mired in journalism and creative non fiction this semester. Fall the topic was "Dinosaurs" and I wrote a piece about a plastic dinosaur I used to have named Mongo. In any case I should put in an appearance on Wednesday to support the department.

No comments: