Monday, April 21, 2008

Monday Meditations

I'm a fool for alliteration, not gonna lie. But this title does possess some significance in the way of content prelude. I have organized Yoga Week on campus this week, which began yesterday with a free dinner at the intercultural center. It has been beautiful all weekend in Beloit with high temps and sunny skies. Everyone is hanging around outside, laying in the grass, reading under trees, playing Frisbee. I was a little worried that I wouldn't get much of a showing for my dinner what with the weather as competition. But I made a bunch of lentils and rice and hoped for the best. I ended up with maybe 25 people, which wasn't bad. All the food was eaten up so no leftovers to crowd my mini fridge. It was a shameless promotion for Yoga Club but hopefully I get some new faces at this week's yoga events.

It has been a wonderfully productive and relaxing weekend for me. The weather is intoxicating. I want to roll around in the grass and stare at the sky. Everything is so green and lush! The daffodils are blooming and some of the yards in Beloit are completely overrun with blue flowers. I went for a walk on Sunday morning around the neighborhood. Everyone was outside doing yard work. It was quiet and lovely. I even bumped into my tutee who was outside walking her pet rabbit. We talked for a while and then I headed back to campus. I think this is my last week of tutoring which is kind of sad.

Saturday night I stayed up late making cookies. I don't really know what possessed me to begin baking at 11 PM but the results are delicious. So many cookies in my room. Temptation all around.

Friday night I was checking my email and discovered that I have been accepted into the Newberry program. I had figured as much but now it is official. Rather underwhelming to receive the news via email but I don't need to worry. This is exciting! I will be living in Chicago next fall. Should be a stressful but amazing time. Actually I have been trying to tell each of the professors who wrote me recommendations about this news in person. I only caught up with Linda Sturtz today but will catch the rest tomorrow. Turns out Linda already knew because she's friends with the professor who is co-leading it. She was terribly excited for me and made me promise that I will take another class with her before I graduate even though I am not a history major. I have already promised Chris Fink that I will take the Beloit Fiction Journal class my senior year as well. My friends tell me I have to stop making these kinds of promises but it is so nice that professors here care about students as individuals and not just as bodies in the classroom.

My weaving class put our semester's work in the library display case this afternoon. I didn't stick Izzy and Irwin in but did include my inkle scarf, overshot table runner, and rya sample. The case looked a little forlorn since most kids forgot to bring their finished work. Oh well. At least we try hard. Actually, since I am finished with my weaving class I have decided to spend my final class periods spinning wool. Feels good to bond with the spinning wheel again. My hands have missed it.

No comments: