Monday, April 28, 2008

The End is Nigh

No, this isn't some apocalyptic post. I haven't had visions of the end of the world recently, just the end of my second year at Beloit. Part of me is sorrowful at this realization. I'm already halfway through my college education. But I'm mostly happy and excited for some change. In less than five days I will be on my way home to Minnesota. Most people around campus are scurrying about trying to finish papers, projects, portfolios, and studying for final exams. I am not a part of this crowd though my friends are. I am in the very tiny minority of people who will be done with everything come Wednesday--the last day of classes. I'm standing on the cusp, folks. Done with Beloit, back to Minnesota, and a summer spent taking care of my nephew in St. Paul. Then on to Chicago in the fall!

I have been doing a lot of reading lately. That and attending special events on campus. Since I have the time and all. Events pile up this time of year. Everyone wants in on the action. Saturday I attended a scholarship luncheon with the board of trustees, which was awkward and stiff. A bunch of people standing around trying to network, holding glasses of punch, while classical piano plays in the background. At least the food was good and I did meet a nice alum from Minneapolis. We bonded over fettuccine. In the afternoon was the senior dance show where senior dance majors choreographed and performed their work. It was a lot of fun and I got to see some really cool dances. One was done with glowsticks.

Sunday was the Beloit Janesville Symphony Orchestra concert featuring the vocal talents of a young Beloit alum who has gone on to opera stardom. I could only stay for the first half of the performance but it was pleasant to sit there and let the music wash over me. I read Richard Bausch's short stories while listening to the concert. A perfect combination. Afterwards I went out to dinner with Shanna--you know, the SOI queen--which was lovely. It was a nice walk downtown and we ate at Domenico's, an Italian restaurant that is often frequented by college students due to its close proximity. Tomorrow night there is a poetry reading at Gallery ABBA, which I will attend, and Thursday there will be the unveiling of the Beloit Travel Anthology. Since I have been published in the anthology I will definitely go to that as well. I've snagged some masculine strength for my move into storage on Friday so that means I'd better make some cookies as compensation. Everything is wrapped up neatly in a ball of twine.

No comments: