Monday, February 4, 2008

Another week begins

This weekend I had the wonderful opportunity to meet with a portion of those folks who are thinking about joining the Beloit class of 2012. It was a hopping time on campus with lots of new faces and exciting events to see. This year I was able to participate in the scholarship interviews again, which is always a good time. I hope those of you who spent this past Saturday at Beloit being interviewed would agree that it wasn't as scary as you thought it would be. I remember when I was visiting campus for the interview. All the students kept telling me not to worry, it wouldn't be bad but I didn't believe them for a minute. It didn't help that the weekend was the coldest of the month either. My hair froze on my way to the interview! But looking back at my experience that weekend, I would have to agree that Beloit tries really hard to take the anxiety out of the interviews. Let's hope they were successful!

I spent a lot of my time this weekend interviewing people. First, there was my interview with Chef Peter on Friday for my journalism class. That went really well. I gathered a ton of information and collected some good quotes. It was fun. Then on Saturday I spent my morning interviewing for the scholarships, which was also a blast. I love talking with prospective students about their high school experiences, favorite books, aspirations, you name it. For those of you who end up at Beloit as Pres scholars, don't pass up the chance to interview the next crop of scholars your freshman year. It will be an experience that you look forward to every spring. It seems like I spent my entire weekend talking to people--friends, strangers, former employers, well-wishers. It was odd but good.

And no, I didn't watch the Superbowl. Instead I ate pizza with my friends and laid around Haven lounge, often upside down because everything is funnier when you're upside down. I'm not kidding. Try it sometime. Today is wet and sloppy outside. The snow that proved a bane for those people heading to Chicago is leaving in a hurry and creating big puddles on the sidewalks. It was quite warm outside again which is unsettling but also made it somewhat pleasant for me when I went outside to pick up pinecones to use as weights for my next weaving project.

No comments: