Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Slippin' and Slidin'

Brrr! The forty degree weather of yesterday is nothing but a long-forgotten dream. From rain to hail and -25 windchills in a matter of hours. That's the Midwest for you. I try to stay indoors as much as humanly possible but had to brave the gail last night for my journalism class. Frigid, frigid weather when a five minute walk isn't a five minute walk but a little piece of eternity dropped in our hands. Sorry. Tennessee Williams is probably rolling over in his grave right now.

Today I am officially 20.5 years old. Time really does slip through your fingers the older you get. All those times that you laughed when an old person sighed and asked "Where does the time go?" will come back to bite you when you catch yourself asking that ridiculous rhetorical question. I used to throw myself half birthdays all the time when I was young. And I mean real parties with friends, cake, and half a birthday gift. One year I received the bottom of a heart-shaped jewelry box. I think I still have it stashed away somewhere in the back of my closet. Really these celebrations were just an excuse to celebrate in the dead of winter when life started getting monotonous. Ah, the tyranny of childhood! How I miss those heady days.

I don't have class tomorrow due to a glitch in the space/time continuum. Both my Thursday classes happen to be taught by writers that just happen to be attending the AWP conference. Pretty sweet, I tells ya. However this shall not be a day to laze about and procrastinate. No, no, no. I have to workshop an essay with my classmates and will teach yoga at 8 AM. Still, that means I can spend most my day working on weaving. Hurray!

No comments: