Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Oh the weather outside is frightful...

So it's blizzarding outside at the moment. Beloit has had a foot of snow dumped on it in the last 24 hours. Typical midwestern weather, really. Nothing much to say about it other than if you are planning to spend the next four years of your life here, invest in a really nice pair of boots like mine. They're perfect for herding reindeer or other frolicky winter activities. In other news, Shanna is currently suffering from a fit of hysterics. Crazy...

Today in my weaving class we are learning how to set up the big floor looms. This an exciting enterprise for the uninitiated. We are going to make broadcloth. But first we are learning how to dye cotton. This means I will get to work with caustic chemicals! First we have to prepare the warps to make them colorfast. This involves washing them in a solution that leeches all the oils from your hands. Pleasant, no? But the important thing is that we will get to choose our colors on Monday and that makes it all worthwhile. The things one must do for ones art...

My first feature article for journalism is slowly coming together. I will do some 'shadowing' of Chef Peter on Friday (which is quickly approaching!) and interview one of his closest colleagues come Monday. In the meantime I am whipping together the organizational structure of my profile and have developed my 'angle' as they call it. I made the mistake of telling my professor that I had already completed my first round of interviews as we were walking to class yesterday and so he naturally asked me to workshop my article first. But I stood fast and refused. That's right. You can say 'no' to a professor. The consequences might not be all that favorable--it just depends on the prof--but you can still say no. In this case, he didn't really care as long as someone else volunteered to go first.

I am not relishing the walk to class tomorrow morning or the walk back to the dorms tonight, for that matter. Good thing I have my boots. Yay for pedestrians!

No comments: