Monday, February 11, 2008

Notes from a Dye Pot

My hands are magenta and blue today--regular dye pot hands. In weaving class we painted our warp strings various hues of our choosing. Mine are a spring green and blue with deep purple at the ends. It looks better than it sounds, I assure you. It will be fascinating to see what my first attempt at broadcloth becomes but I won't know until I set up the loom on Wednesday. As part of my weaving class I am required to design and make five projects--four of which use particular techniques and one free style. Since I had some extra time during class I decided to peruse weaving magazines from the 1980s for ideas in planning my projects and came up with four of the five. It is terribly exciting. I plan on making a rag rug, which I have always wanted to do, a stole with some lovely alpaca yarn I've had for years, a stripy fashion scarf on the inkle loom, and a family of sock monsters. It will be absolutely wonderful, especially since I can use up some of those holely socks I have lying around my dorm room.

These days I am consumed with a steady workload. Not a ton of time to skip and dance in my schedule. I have three papers due before spring break which is in three weeks. This wouldn't be so bad except that two of those papers are due in the same week (You'd think the professors could have planned this better taking my schedule into account). I am currently researching the life and times of apples for an essay in creative nonfiction. Granted, the tactic of taking a common entity of popular culture and exploring its hidden side has recently been overdone with books like A Natural History of the Senses, The Botany of Desire, and The Secret Life of Lobsters, I believe there are still some creative ways to deal with apples in a six page essay. And I'll be sure to share with you all the fascinating details about apples that I discover as well as any notes from the underbelly of the apple industry.

No comments: