Monday, March 10, 2008

Back in Beloit

Spring Break has already come and gone leaving a bunch of melting snow and catch-up work in its wake. I always think I'm going to get more done during a week than I actually can but I am resigned to the fact. Considering all the distractions that await me at home--can we just say adorable 4 month old nephew--it is amazing that I managed to accomplish everything that I needed to get done. But I am not going to blog about schoolwork. Rather I will regale you with the highlights of my journey north. So let's pretend that we are sitting together in a cozy coffee house drinking hot tea. I show you some pictures on my digital camera. Unfortunately I wasn't much of a shutterbug this past week so the majority of my pictures feature the local terrain around my house. A couple nephew shots are thrown in for good measure. Some sock monsters too. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

What did I do over break? Well, I decided to hit the road and went back home to Minnesota. I took the trusty Greyhound from Madison and made it to St. Paul in record time thanks to my lead foot driver. It was sunny and bright in Minnesota, which made me happy. Wisconsin's grey skies were clouding up my spirits. While the past week was frigid and frostbite-inducing, I won't complain. I didn't go to Minnesota to sunbathe. Since I'm sure all the eccentricities of my break won't be of interest to anyone but myself I will only list the highlights. If you really want to hear a day-by-day account of my spring break, simply send me a SASE and I'll be sure to send you a copy of the daily record I kept for an article I'm writing for my journalism class. Here are the highlights:

1. Spent lots of time playing with my giggly and smiley nephew who spit up on me right before I left for the bus.
2. Ate lunch with my grandma every day that I was in Mankato and had scandalous conversations about family secrets.
3. Reunited with my best friend and vented about crowded living conditions, middle aged suitors, and unrequited love affairs.
4. Made a pair of sock monsters named Izzy and Irwin out of holey socks.
5. Discovered an amazing author--Michael Perry--and read his delightful memoir "Population: 485." Check. It. Out.
6. Danced with my cats.
7. Cooked Thanksgiving-esque reunion feasts for my immediate and extended family.
8. Went to the MN History Center and learned that Lutheranism is one of the 150 best things about Minnesota. Also saw Prince's Purple Rain outfit. That man is uber short.
9. Took an ambitious hike on the Sakatah State Trail in 11 degree weather. Daaang.
10. Hung out with my favorite people in the world watching movies, shopping for socks, cooking, and talking. Low key but so good.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Krista,
Abigail Here. I also saw the 150 best things about Minnesota. Did you play the trivia game? It was addictive. I could have probably told you this in person, but I'm distracting myself from class.

-Abigail