Monday, March 17, 2008

Shootin' the Breeze

It was hailing/sleeting on my walk over to Admissions this evening. Just a friendly reminder that winter hasn't lost its grip on Wisconsin quite yet. Soon thunderstorms and gentle rain will take the place of ice slicks and sleet. I can hardly wait.

This past weekend has been chockfull of entertainment so I have plenty to write about tonight. First of all, Friday night was deliciously low-key. I went to see a documentary that I've wanted to see for years called "The Real Dirt on Farmer John." Perhaps some of you have heard of it? Anyway, it's about a Beloit alum who runs an organic farm and CSA (community supported agriculture) in northern Illinois called Angelic Organics. I went to visit the farm with my FYI but didn't get to meet Farmer John. The documentary was shown in cooperation with the Spiritual Life program at Beloit and they served us popcorn in little cups. Pretty sweet. I went with a friend of mine. I'd recommend the film to anyone who can get their hands on a copy, especially if they are serious about spending the next four years of their life at Beloit.

After the film my friend and I went back to my dorm to hang out and chat. Soon another friend of ours wandered in and joined the party. We managed to polish off a bag of chips and a box of Girl Scout cookies--Samoas, my favorite. Conversation ran all over the spectrum from Ethiopian cuisine to modern farm policy. Typical Beloit night.

Saturday I went to Chicago with some other friends. We caught an early bus and arrived at O'Hare airport around 10 AM. My friend Alyssa's father lives in Chicago and was nice enough to offer his services as chauffeur around the city and crash pad. We each chose one place to see and he took us there while offering a history of the neighborhood and anecdotes. In the course of our stay we did the following:
1. Ate lunch in the Logan Square area at a Mexican restaurant called El Cid
2. Stopped at an ostentatious bakery called Pierre's with floor-to-ceiling marble, golden chandeliers, and the motto "Cakes to get married over!"
3. Popped into the Newberry Library to see where I will be spending my time next fall and toured their recent acquisitions
4. Shopped at a couple bead stores along Lincoln Avenue and stumbled into an aptly named used bookstore called "Books"
5. Drove down Devon Street to find a Russian bakery and discovered a Georgian one instead
6. Ate dinner at Giordano's pizza then ran over a mile to catch the 7:30 showing of "Juno"
7. Grabbed a hot fudge sundae at Margie's Candies where the Beatles stopped after one of their Chicago tours
8. Played a mean game of Scrabble

I don't believe that we could have packed more fun into one day than we managed to do. We returned to campus at 2:30 on Sunday and ate some Russian potato dumplings for dinner. Yum! Now it is back to the same old routine until next weekend when I'll skip town for an Easter gathering in Madison. I'm sensing a trend here...

No comments: