Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Failure to Communicate

I am not often in the business of quoting "Cool Hand Luke" but today seems to warrant it. In my weaving class I just learned that I am required to weave a muppet. Okay, so maybe not a muppet per say, but we have to complete a project involving Swedish rya technique which produces fabric with a pile similar in appearance to muppet hair. In truth, weaving a muppet would actually be fun. I didn't realize that we had to use this technique for one of our final projects until this afternoon. I had rather hoped to use a rag rug, alpaca shawl, and overshot table runner to round out my projects. But no, rya must find its way into the picture. When my professor showed us a sample of the technique I was immediately reminded of shag rugs and Santa Claus tapestries with fluffy 3D beards. Not incredibly attractive but I will follow the rules and make a fluffy blanket for my sock monster. Such is the way of collegiate life.

Revisions, revisions, revisions. That is the mantra running through my head. I must turn in my first round of revisions for creative writing tomorrow and have the opportunity to revise my Brit Lit paper. The professor told me that I was in no way obligated to revise my lit paper since I would still receive a "pretty good grade on it" such as it is. What 'pretty good' means in terms of grading is a little fuzzy. We'll see how much time I have this weekend. Who 'we' is in this sentence is another mystery.

So Shanna and I have been arguing about whether Paul Newman is the most beautiful man alive. I say he is. She says he's not and Johnny Depp is like nectar. My friend Sarah describes Mr. Newman as a "big sack of nummy." I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. Unfortunately some people are not as enlightened. Sorry Shanna.

2 comments:

Beloit said...

i am enlightened! i just don't go for the buff American look. i like pretty and/or quirky guys
~Shanna

Beloit said...

Paul Newman is one of my top men! Especially in Cool Hand Luke. Hawt.
-Quinn