Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Tuesday Update

This weekend was really low-key in Beloit. The Mexican consulate was visiting campus for a three-day conference so there was a lot more activity on the academic side of campus than usual for a weekend. I went to the farmer's market Saturday morning with a friend of mine--sort of a weekly tradition. We bought little pumpkins for our dorm rooms and took lots of pictures since it was a beautiful day. Cosmos were still blooming in the little park on State Street which was absolutely gorgeous. There was a mini donut stand this week with lots of little kids lined up to share in the sugary goodness and plenty of people with dogs in tow. It's nice to see pets once in awhile. The thing I miss the most while here on campus is my cat so it's always refreshing to see other people's pets out and about.
Saturday night was a little more exciting. I was watching "Borat" with my friends at the Russian House when a whole brigade of sirens started heading towards campus, which was quite out of the ordinary especially since it appeared to be a caravan of fire engines. Naturally, we decided to join the throngs of gawking students and find out what was up. I was especially curious because the fire engines were all parked in front of my dorm...I was really hoping that Haven wasn't on fire because that would suck, to put it mildly. But luckily it wasn't anything as dramatic as that. It turned out that some student had overloaded one of the washing machines. So let this be a lesson to you prospective students: yes, laundry is expensive but it most certainly is possible to overload the washers so just don't do it!

On a lighter note, this morning I was working on my weaving and completed the first portion of my design, which was terribly thrilling. I love my weaving class so much. It is tons of fun and I found out yesterday that I am free to use the spinning wheel in the weaving studio any time I please. I haven't had access to a spinning wheel for nigh on four years. So I will have my parents bring me some wool when they come for Family and Friends Weekend which begins this Friday. Yay for family and fiber!

No comments: