Thursday, September 27, 2007

Glorious Apple Day!

Today was Apple Day at Commons, a yearly tradition that is pretty much the pinnacle of heaven in the world of cafeteria dining. Essentially Apple Day is a day to gorge oneself on delectable, fattening, sugary sweets that make their appearance but once a year. I'm talking fancy desserts not the average cookie and cobbler. And, as the name implies, there are plenty of apples which all come from the Apple Hut--a lovely little orchard just outside the city with amazing apples and donuts. If you end up at Beloit be sure to make your parents take you there for Family Weekend, or failing that, your friends' parents. That's my plan for the weekend!

It was also the Off-campus Studies Fair today complete with a billowing tent set up on the lawn in front of Pearsons and presenters for various Beloit and third-party programs. I went during my lunch hour and picked up a bunch of information on studying in India. Since Beloit doesn't offer any campus programs there I will have to check out third-party providers such as the Associated Colleges of the Midwest. I plan to sit down with the director of off-campus studies sometime next week to discuss my options and make my plans since the deadline for going abroad next year is coming up in November.

Last night I attended an informational session in the career center on finding a paid internship that was very helpful. Now I feel like I have found a ton of resources and just have to narrow the search down to companies and organizations I might like to work with. That is certainly a comforting feeling. On to cover letters!

So my parents are coming to visit me tomorrow evening. I am making them soup in my dorm for dinner which means that I have to walk down to Cub Foods tomorrow morning after classes. All I need is a potato, an onion, and some carrots but lord knows there aren't any on campus. Unless I bribe one of the boys in the dish to steal me some from Commons...after all I did work in the dish room all last year. There have to be some employee benefits--or veteran's in my case. Anyway, I am very excited to see the folks again (it has already been five weeks!) and can't wait to show them my weaving. I am getting pretty far along now--almost halfway. And let me tell you, that is a lot of time spent sitting in front of a loom. But it's so much more satisfying than sitting in front of a computer. No offense, my dear prospective students! I am eagerly awaiting your questions in the evening chat sessions. So don't be shy! Ask away.

No comments: