Thursday, September 13, 2007

Gather 'round my friends and I shall tell ye a tale...

Hello everyone! Let me share with you all the wondrous tales of my exciting adventures in Beloit. I can't promise you stories of excess and vice (for that would be unprofessional) but I can regale you with all the wacky adventures, scrapes, and torrid love affairs that comprise the basics of a Beloit education. So here goes...

I went to an English major get-together this afternoon, arriving fashionably late so I wouldn't have to mingle awkwardly and fight my way past hungry students to the complimentary scones and tea. However, I didn't realize there would be a departmental presentation beforehand and therefore had to lounge conspicuously in the doorway (next to my fiction professor, incidentally) and feel like a fire hazard, which I most undoubtedly was. Other than my embarrassment, it was a wonderful gathering chock-full of useful information about the major and literary resources on campus as well as awkward mingling.

I procrastinated for awhile this morning, killing time before my first class by watching "West Side Story" which I had never seen before and hope to never see again (no offense to any fans out there). I was lamenting the string of bad movies I have been getting from Netflix and realized that this only started after I deviated from my Dustin Hoffman film series. Maybe someone is trying to tell me something...

This evening I started my first day of work-study in the admissions office and got to learn the lay of the land and the breadth of my responsibilities as a student outreach intern. Rather daunting but I am up to the challenge!

I can't believe tomorrow is already Friday. Only two classes stand between me and the glory of the weekend! There is a conference about applied anthropology starting tomorrow that I am really excited about. Hopefully there will be some good information on how Beloit can introduce an applied approach in the anthro department. I also hope to find time to make some apple crisp this weekend. I bought apples at the farmer's market last weekend and really should do something with them. It is such lovely, crisp fall weather too, just perfect for apple eatin'. On Saturday I am going to Madison with a friend to attend the World Music Festival. It sounds awesome and I can't wait to hear all the great music. Well, enjoy the weekend everyone! I'll post again soon.

No comments: