Thursday, September 20, 2007

Laughin' it up in Admissions

I tell you, SOIs sure know how to live it up. This evening after doing a little emailing, answering some calls, and almost hanging up on our supervisor, my office cohort and I tried out the new admissions chat feature. Soon the rest of you can join us in the glory of chatting about Beloit but first we have to familiarize ourselves with the features so we don't accidentally kick someone out or ban them for life. So naturally we proceeded to have many hilarious, insinuating exchanges that are completely lacking in professionalism and not befitting our station. It seems like the chat feature will be a lot of fun so be sure to check it out when it gets up and running sometime next week! Okay, enough shameless plugs. I'm not sure what to tell everyone that is new and/or exciting in my life since my last update but I'm sure I can pull something together. I am a creative writing major after all...

Let's see. Today I taught my second yoga class and it was just as full as the last session which was very encouraging. I seem to have accessed a previously untapped niche on campus. I'm used to teaching at a small-town recreation center where people sign up for classes and then consistently don't show up so it was refreshing to have more than two or three people present. Last night was the weekly anthropology club meeting and since I consider myself a member, despite my betrayal of the department, I attended it along with some of my friends. This week's meeting we painted terracotta pots and watched an episode of "Taboo." It wasn't completely anthropological, per say, but it was pretty fun and messy. Just thought I'd throw that in there in case anyone is interested in club life on campus...

I had a meeting last night at the career center to have a counselor look over my resume. This is my second review session so I can assure you that my resume is now eye-catching and terribly impressive. I am looking into securing an internship for the summer, hopefully working with a non-profit, and have been utilizing the career center to gain direction and resources for my search. I just have to find some companies I might want to apply to and create a cover letter to send them. Easier said than done of course but I still have plenty of time. Just a little FYI for those of you who don't know--an important part of the Beloit graduation requirements is "experiential education" which usually translates into an internship of some kind related to your intended major. Since I am a creative writing major, anything I decide to do can be construed as writing-related. This means that my search is wide open which has its good points and bad.

This weekend is the sophomore reunion dinner which is a part of the sophomore year initiative that tries to prepare second-year students for the rest of their college years. The dinner will be an opportunity to reunite with former first year initiative classmates and hear about upcoming opportunities and requirements for upperclassmen. I'm excited to meet up with old classmates and see how their lives are going. Odd but true, that first week of being thrown together really does force you to forge relationships, however tenuous. Since I met one of my best friends during FYI this dinner is sure to be pleasant, though just having a free dinner on Sunday is incentive enough to attend.

No comments: