Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Tuesday Night Blues

So I'm working away in Admissions tonight. It's so quiet and dark. Hopefully some prospective students join the chat tonight to mix things up a little...hint, hint. Unfortunately there's an international poetry reading tonight. Not that the event is in and of itself unfortunate but unfortunate that I won't be able to attend because I'm holding the fort together this evening from beginning until end. Ah, well. That's earning a living for you.

Today was remarkably pleasant because I didn't have any classes. This isn't so strange considering that I only have one class on Tuesdays but I had absolutely nothing to do until tutoring in the afternoon and work in the evening. I was supposed to have a conference with my English prof this morning in lieu of class but he cancelled on me due to an unexpected departmental meeting. So he says. Instead I shall meet with him on Thursday before class. Not a big deal. But since I was up at 7 AM to teach yoga my day has stretched out before me with little to keep me occupied. Other than studying. There's always that. And actually I did spend most of my time doing research for my research papers. Soon I will concoct some theses, which is terribly exciting, no?

This remarkable amount of free time is disconcerting considering that it is the middle of the week. No classes today and no classes tomorrow because of International Symposium Day. Going to class on Thursday and Friday will be painful after two days of respite. But Symposium Day is always fun. I'm planning on attending two sessions in the morning--one on creative writing and three on India. Should hopefully be interesting. Just for clarification, ISD isn't just time off from classes (though it most certainly is that too); it is also an opportunity for students that have gone abroad to bring their experiences back to campus and showcase what they learned. It's also a good chance for other students to find out what they can do while abroad on a specific program they might be considering. All in all, a win-win situation. Besides, it's a day off from class!

1 comment:

Dwight Purdy said...

Krista: I graduated from Beloit in 1964 as an English and Creative Writing major. Then, after graduate school at U. of Texas, I taught in Minnesota for 34 years. So you were a delight to read. You sound like the ideal student. I wish I had had you in one of my classes. If Beloit has more like you, things are ok.