Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Tenant's Ballad

This afternoon my tutee was working on spelling and vocabulary-building. We were going through her worksheets and she had to answer a question concerning tenants. I think the actual prompt was to write about where a tenant she knows lives. Presumptuous assignment perhaps, taking for granted that everyone knows a renter. Apparently my tutee didn't have any friends or classmates that rented so I told her to write that her tutor is a tenant at Beloit College. Maybe a bit of a stretch but dorm life does involve a rented space, so to speak, and while we don't pay by the month we do fork over a lump sum at the beginning of each semester for "room." Funny to think of myself as a tenant of the college. Feels like something from a Jhumpa Lahiri short story or "The Graduate."

The weather is clear and sunny these days, completely unlike the November of my youth. First of all it is entirely too warm for the time of year. Temperatures in the sixties? Come now! Back in my day we already had snow flurries around this time. Granted I'm from Minnesota which some folks believe is just a hop, skip, and a jump away from Siberia but Beloit is only 70 miles south of my hometown. By gum, Al Gore was right the whole time!

My fiction class was hopping today. We had a lively discussion about several selections from the Best American Short Stories series. Actually ran out of time which is difficult to do in a two-hour long class period. It was just that interesting. Truthfully we were spending a lot of time joking around, changing the class schedule, and talking about dinosaurs. Still, it was a good time. In my weaving class I am nearly finished with my rug. Less than an inch left to go. I'm very excited to finish it and take it off the loom. The grand event should take place tomorrow afternoon. Hurray!

No comments: